Friday, April 28, 2006
Planned Parenthood seeks more corporate welfare
I went to City Hall yesterday and picked up the information on Planned Parenthood's latest request for a handout from city government. This time they are asking for $3,050 toward remodeling their front office. This makes the 8th year in a row that Planned Parenthood has applied for a handout from city government.
Here the seven members of the Social Services Funding Committee. City government's web site lists e-mail addresses for the five committee members who also sit on the City Council.
Following is a list of upcoming meetings. The only meeting with public comment is June 21, but concerned citizens can contact committee members and/or City Council members in the weeks leading up to the vote.
- May 11, 2006, 5:00 p.m. in City Council chambers -- Committee hears presentations from applicants.
- May 22, 2006, 5:00 p.m. in City Council chambers -- Committee makes funding recommendations.
- June 21, 2006, 7:30 p.m. in City Council chambers -- City Council votes on the final package.
Other important dates include:
- May 17 -- Committee members submit rating of applications.
- June 7 -- Committee evaluates the program.
- June 12 -- Agencies complete the funding agreements.
- June 16 -- Council office distributes the City Council's packet.
If anyone thinks this is anything but the local abortion clinic seeking yet another political endorsement from city government, I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. Planned Parenthood has already secured $26,000 of the $29,050 they "need" to remodel their front office. If PP truly "needs" to remodel their front office, they can easily secure the funds they require from private donors. Once again, Planned Parenthood is disrespecting the process, the other social service agencies that need help, and the people of Bloomington by turning this debate into a political fiasco.